During a time of civil unrest, samurai lay down the law. Players can choose from more than 35 playable samurai, many based on actual figures from Japanese history. Each stage is filled with fast-paced action as players are challenged to complete a series of objectives by fighting through hundreds of enemies on foot or on horseback. Each samurai has different skills and weapons, and each one offers a different perspective on the overall story of the unification of Japan. Each samurai has a different motive for combat. Some fight to unite Japan, while others seek to protect the honour of their clan and loved ones.
- As players fight through hundreds of enemies, players can collect gems to upgrade to superior weapons and armour.
- In the “Murasame Castle” mode, players help a lost Samurai fight his way out of a haunted castle. This mode is based on The Mysterious Murasame Castle, a game originally designed by Nintendo with input from developer Shigeru Miyamoto and released in Japan on the Famicom Disk System. In this mode, two players can battle cooperatively across long distances via broadband Internet access and Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection.
- Samurai Warriors™ 3 features a variety of special moves such as:
- Spirit Charge: Hold the block button to block as well as fill up the Musou gauge. When the Musou gauge is full of electricity, players can press the A button on the Classic Controller Pro™ to execute a “Musou Attack.”
- Ultimate Musou Attack: When both the Rengi and Musou gauges are full, pressing the A button on the Classic Controller Pro unleashes an “Ultimate Musou Attack” that deals lethal amounts of damage to all nearby enemies.
- Players can select the character's dialogue to be spoken in either Japanese or English.
- The game can be controlled with the Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™ controller combination, the Classic Controller™, the Classic Controller Pro or the Nintendo GameCube™ controller.